Sunday, November 15, 2009

Weekend Wonders and Miracle Cookies

The weekend is coming to a close. When Sunday nights arrive, it is almost a let down. A depressing feeling comes over me and I start to dread Mondays. I understood this feeling when I had to go to work on Mondays - understandable, who wants to work? But now that I am on Maternity Leave, I don't have to go to a "job". So why does this feeling persist? Perhaps I have enjoyed Chris being home for two days and is upset that he has to leave us to go to work? Who knows.

Chris is at work trying to get last minute things completed for the work week. Keirwyn is asleep. She and I fell asleep this afternoon on the bed. We were all cuddled in for the long haul but I woke up. I put her in her bed and begrudgingly finished my weekend chores that I had been avoiding.

Keirwyn has a bad case of cradle cap. I have been putting different lotions on her head in attempt to make it go away. If it doesn't get better I will have to take her to the Health Center and get them to prescribe something. As I was lathering her scalp, I had fun playing with her hair. Keirwyn sported a mohawk for the day. Chris tried to brush her hair down (I think he thought I was being cruel to my child for giving her weird hair-dos. This is not her first crazy hair day.....forgive me, I get bored). Her hair wouldn't go back to normal. So at this very moment, as she is sleeping, her hair is still standing straight up! What a laugh!

Keirwyn has been quite attached to me lately. I put her down to try to do something and she cries. I can't even go to the bathroom without her having a fit. I was hoping she wouldn't go through this stage. At least she hasn't started the "stranger danger" stage. I have been trying to pass her off to as many people as I can so she can get used to being held by others. When we go to either Chris' school or my school, I rarely see my child. The moment I step into the building, someone has taken her out of my amauti and has walked away with her.

When my father was visiting her we went to a potluck at my school. I was there for about 5 minutes when Keirwyn disappeared with one of my co-workers. I had no idea where she went but I knew she was safe. Half way through lunch, Dad asked me if I knew where my child was. I looked around and didn't see her. I said she would show up sooner or later. She did.....she had been passed on to another co-worker. Dad had a hard time with the whole concept. I did at first too, but that is how it is done here. Babies are passed around to be enjoyed by everyone.

Keirwyn is such a good baby. We went to dinner at our friends' place and Keirwyn didn't make a sound. She sat in a vibrating chair (which she loved) and was content to stare into space. She did make one yelp in protest when she dirtied her diaper. Boy did she do a number. It was disgusting.

Chris and I were introduced to what I can only explain as the most wonderful treat known to man. They are chocolate cookies that come from New Zealand. There is a "special" way to eat them that makes one giggle with delight.....seriously.....there was a lot of giggling going on by all, including Chris.

This is how you eat a Tim Tam, the yummy cookie that makes life worth while. You take the said cookie and bite off one corner. Then you bite off the opposite corner. You stick one end of the cookie in hot chocolate and suck on the cookie like a straw. When the hot chocolate comes through the cookie, you quickly stick the whole cookie in your mouth before it melts away.

While eating this delicious treat, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I ended up eating three cookies. So much for my diet. I weighed myself the next morning and I gained a pound but it was worth it. Chris, who likes chocolate but rarely eats it, giggled like a school girl and had three cookies himself. As I write this, all I can think about is eating another Tim Tam. I plan on buying some of these cookies and sharing with my family and friends down "South" (what we Northerners call southern Canada). Perhaps I will give them as Christmas gifts, along with a box of hot chocolate so everyone can enjoy. Yummy,Yummy, Yummy.

I can't believe Christmas is coming so soon. Chris and Akehla, who lives with her mother in New Brunswick, have been counting down the days until they see each other again. Akehla is super excited to see her little sister for the first time. I am trying to find t-shirts that have "Big Sister" and "Little Sister" written on them. I think it would be adorable to have pictures taken with them wearing their t-shirts.

Akehla has also informed us of what our schedule will be like while we are spending the holidays together. We will be bowling, swimming, sledding and eating out every day. She has gotten used to doing whatever she wants because that is what it is like in the summer when we are together. We hardly spend any time together so we try to make it as special and exciting as possible. Hopefully our pocket books can keep up with her plans.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Wish I was in Freddy Beach to see and hang with the four of you, what am I saying, I know my pocketbook couldn't keep up, I'm still trying to pay off the car from this summer!!!!!!

Cookies sound delightful!

Glad you are having fun!