Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Spew and Other Goodies

Keirwyn sporting her new boots.
*******
I must stand up and applaud those women who raise children on their own. I do not know how they do it. I admire their determination and will to get things done. I know I couldn't do it.


The reason for this admiration is the difficult weekend I had. Last Friday, Keirwyn woke up at 3:30 am in a fuss. I thought it was because she was hungry. I made a bottle and settled down to feed her. When she was done she puked it all up......three times. It was a massive amount of spew! It was like a waterfall. I panicked and woke up Peggy to see what she thought. Keirwyn was smiling and seemed like her chipper self so we just thought perhaps she wasn't hungry and I over-fed her.


Later that day, Keirwyn continued to throw up and she became very lethargic. We called the Alberta Health Link who told us to get to the ER. We bundled her up (it has been very cold in Edmonton, nearly as cold as Rankin) and headed to the closest hospital. After a 5.5 hour wait and another throw-up, Keirwyn was diagnosed with a stomach flu. We brought her home with instructions to fed her Pedialite.


The next morning I got very ill. I could barely hold my child nevertheless try to take care of her as well. We were a pair. I laid on the couch; Keirwyn was in her car seat. We slept most of the day. Thank goodness for grandparents. Dad stayed home with us all day to make sure we were ok. Peggy volunteered to take care of Keirwyn during the night so I could sleep. Thank you Dad and Peggy!!!! You guys are awesome! I couldn't have done this without you!!!!!!


I have to admit that I was scared out of my mind! I didn't know what to do for Keirwyn and I felt so helpless because I couldn't "fix" the situation. She depends on me and I couldn't do anything for her to make her better. Keirwyn is usually a VERY happy little girl, who loves to smile and giggle! To see her so lifeless and not smiling broke my heart. I am very glad to say that she is back to her old self.


Yesterday, Keirwyn and I went to a Christmas play/concert that Peggy's grand-daughter was in. It was great little show! At the same time, Keirwyn was putting on her own show. She made friends with a little girl and her father sitting behind us. The father later asked me if Keirwyn was always that happy. He was surprised to find out that Keirwyn was usually a happy baby and rarely cried. I have been told by Dad and Peggy that my child is unusual for her age. Most babies can be a handful. I am grateful and very lucky that Keirwyn is such a good baby!


Our trip in Edmonton is quickly coming to an end. I have had a great time visiting family and, yes, spending lots of money. I am ready for Christmas and excited to spend time with East Coast family and friends. The most important thing I am looking forward to is spending time with my step-daughter, Akehla. I miss that little girl so much! She is so bright and such a special spirit! I wish we could see her more often. Akehla hasn't seen her little sister yet. She is very excited to see Keirwyn! Having my two daugthers together will be such a special moment!


1 comment:

Sharon said...

Have a super wonderful time in Freddy Beach wish I was there to see you!!!!!! Love you all!