This post is for those who were wondering how our spring vacay went.....
Right before we were supposed to leave for our spring break, a blizzard hit Rankin. Chris was pretty excited the first day because school was cancelled and he could enjoy the day home with the family. The second day started to worry us and the third day I was cursing the Weather Gods for allowing this to happen right before we were supposed to leave. We watched the weather channel religiously and checked the internet hourly to see if the forecast had changed.
The day arrived that we were to leave. It wasn't snowing but the wind was horrible. We packed our bags and prayed that we would be able to leave for Winnipeg. The airport was full of people coming and going (many cancelled flights). We waited patiently for our plane to be announced. Although it was late taking off, we did eventually leave Rankin and headed to Winnipeg.
Our first night there (Friday) we met up with Sharon and Raymond and took them out to dinner at the Olive Garden. Yummy, yummy! Later we went to Raymond's brother's house and played games. What a great way to spend the night! Much fun was had by all.
Saturday we spent the day at the mall.....shop, shop, shop! We didn't spend too much but we had fun. I purchased a notebook so we could access the internet on our trips. It was nice to have while in Winnipeg. The hotel had free internet so I was able to keep in touch with people while we were away.
The rest of the vacation was pretty much spent the same way.....shopping. We did take time to go to the Winnipeg Zoo (great fun), the Manitoba Museum and see a few movies. On Wednesday we were able to meet up with friends from Rankin for dinner. They were down for vacation as well. It was neat to spend time with them outside of Rankin.
On Thursday, we checked out of our hotel and went to the airport. When we arrived, we were told that there were weather warnings for Rankin and there may be delays with our departure. We checked in our luggage and proceeded to the security gate. After all was said and done, we waited for our plane for five hours. It was really boring and a bit stressful with Keirywn.
The powers that be decided they would load us on the plane and try to land in Rankin. It took us 2.5 hours to get to Rankin. When we were there, the pilots tried to land but couldn`t. It was decided that the plane would head to Churchill where it could be refulled and then they would decide what to do after that. We arrived in Churchill but we were not allowed off the plane. First Air doesn`t have a terminal there so we were not allowed to get off. It was hot and crowded and I was a little annoyed at listening to many passengers complain, especially one man who was drunk before he ever got on the plane. We were the lucky ones that got to sit next to him. If I had been the flight attendant, I would not have continued to supply him with alcohol. By the time we landed, he could barely walk.
Anyhow, we left Churchill and flew back to Rankin. The plane tried to land twice but the pilots felt as if it was too dangerous. Back to Winnipeg we went. By the time we landed in Winnipeg, we had been on the plane for almost 7 hours. We landed in Winnipeg, were told we would have to find our own lodgings for the night and reminded to come back in the morning to get on the next plane to Rankin.
Keirwyn was so well behaved during this whole ordeal! I was surprised. But when we got to the hotel, she had a little melt down. She was over tired and didn`t want to sleep in a crib provided by the hotel. So, we were one happy family, sleeping in a king sized bed. We slept soundly and I only woke up twice because Keirwyn was playing with my hair while she slept.
The morning came too soon and we were at the airport bright and early. There were already people in line when we got there.....anxious to get back to Rankin, I guess. We checked in again, went through security....again.....and waited for our flight......again. This time there were no problems. The flight left on time, the drunk guy was sitting far from us and Keirwyn was enjoying her time on the plane.
By the time we landed in Rankin and sitting in our living room, I was very grateful to be home. I enjoyed my time away but there is nothing like being in your own home. I missed my own space and especially my own bed.
I do have pictures of our trip and will post them soon. I have to find our camera first. It is in the apartment somewhere......I haven`t finished putting things away from our trip. Suppose I should get on that.
No comments:
Post a Comment